Here are some fun facts to help get you through the day and look like the most informed person at the water cooler.
– Molly Ringwald wanted Viggo Mortensen to be in “Sixteen Candles” . . . because he actually kissed her during the audition and she said it made her, quote, “weak in the knees.” But the part went to Michael Schoeffling instead.
– Slavery is now illegal in every single country in the world . . . Western Sahara was the last country to make it a crime, in 2010.
– There’s a federal law that bans living people from being featured on any currency.
– The opposite of Stockholm syndrome is “Lima syndrome.” That’s when kidnappers wind up sympathizing with their hostages.
– The jockstrap was invented in 1874 for bike messengers . . . they needed something for protection when they rode around the cobblestone streets in Boston.
Strange and trending news:
– A new survey found 57% of us couldn’t handle living within walking distance of our parents. The ideal distance is a 15 to 45-minute drive. And 37% of us wouldn’t want ANY of our family members to live close enough to pop in unannounced. (Full Story)
– 26% of adults wake up at least once during the night to check their phone, according to a new survey. And 23% of us check our phone within five minutes of waking up. (Full Story)
– “Pokemon Go” is finally getting a sequel and it’s called . . . “Pokemon Sleep”. To “play” it, you just go to sleep . . . and you’ll win based on how long and how well you sleep. It’s set to come out next year. (Full Story)
– Someone in California apparently bought a replica of the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile several years ago . . . to use as their regular, everyday car. Now they’re selling it on Craigslist for $7,000 because, quote, “[It] was a novelty and enjoyable for about a week. Now I suffer.” (Full Story)
– Right now, people online are freaking out because they’re discovering they have one identical freckle on their wrist. It’s probably because you get a lot of sun on your wrist so if you do have a freckle there, the sun makes it dark enough to see . . . but it’s still weird to see so many strangers with the same exact freckle. (Full Story)
ladies….. u got a freckle on the middle of ur wrist or is this a myth lmao pic.twitter.com/VpwkkeWKTj
— aaryn ✰ (@aarynwhitley) May 22, 2019
– A guy in Maine is going viral after his wife tweeted a picture of his FULL BACK TATTOO of Jar Jar Binks from “Star Wars”. And he just did an interview where he clarified that even though he has that tattoo, quote, “I have had sex multiple times.” (Full Story)
My husband can relate (yes this is really Jar-Jar in the style of Steve-O's self portrait back tattoo) pic.twitter.com/4ROZlFHvMv
— Jessica Ouellette (@JesOuellette) May 19, 2019
– A woman in Colombia caught her husband cheating earlier this month. So, his plan to save the marriage was . . . let her drive through town with him NAKED on the roof of the car to humiliate him. And they actually did it . . . but they both wound up getting $150 tickets for creating a public nuisance. (Full Story)
– A guy in Florida got into a fight with his roommate last Thursday after refusing to flush the toilet after he used it. And she had to arm herself with their plunger to keep him away. (Full Story)
– A woman went into a Burger King in Florida and demanded free fries on Monday. When the staff wouldn’t give any to her, she said she was robbing the place . . . and brawled with an employee. She was arrested on several charges. (Full Story)
– A guy broke into a hair salon in Pennsylvania on Tuesday . . . but as he ran away, he accidentally dropped some of the money he stole. So, the cops just followed the TRAIL OF MONEY right to him . . . and arrested him. (Full Story)
– A 97-year-old woman in Rhode Island never went to prom, because it was the Depression and her parents couldn’t afford a dress. So, her granddaughter got permission to take her to a random high school prom last Friday . . . did a promposal . . . bought her a dress . . . and they named her honorary prom queen. (Full Story)
— Sam Read (@NBC10_Sam) May 25, 2019